I want you to really think about the relationship you have with yourself and be totally honest. Do you love yourself? Let me take it one step back, do you even like yourself? If you could watch yourself in a movie what would you think of the person you see? Do you have self respect? Do you know what you want out of life?
I am not asking you to walk around on your high horse thinking you are better than everyone else, because trust me that way of thinking won’t work either – there will always be someone else ‘better’ in your eyes in a different way. I want you to stop comparing, believe you are unique, you are special, you are gifted in your own way. Recognise your greatness believe you deserve what you want and be the most supreme version of yourself.
Why am I asking you to think about this? Because the relationship you have with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have. Everyone has heard the phrase ‘You have to love yourself before anyone else will’ and this is so true. When you can get to a place of self love, you will start to attract the people you deserve to have in your life like magic. Learn to love yourself first, instead of loving the idea of other people loving you.
I have put together my 10 ways to practice self love. Try it and watch your world change for the better.
- Every morning write down a gratitude list. If you can’t be grateful for what you already have then chances are that you won’t get more. You will always see and feel a lack if your mind focuses on what you don’t have rather than appreciating all the good. You could start your gratitude with ‘Thank you for’… or ‘I am truly grateful for’. What you focuses on expands so if all you focus on is negative then all you will get is negative. Focus on what you have to be grateful for and more will appear.
- Do something for someone else. As Tony Robbins says ‘The secret to living is giving’. Do a good deed for someone else or reach out and tell someone how much they mean to you. Bake a cake, cook a nice meal for someone. Don’t under estimate how good it will make you feel to give love and watch it come back to you.
- Pamper yourself. Give yourself some body love. Go to a spa for a facial or a relaxing massage. If you don’t have the funds to do this then a DIY job at home will do the trick. Run yourself a long relaxing bath with candles and give yourself a body scrub then nourish your body with a moisturiser. This before bed should make you sleep so much better. I love listening to an audio in the bath surrounded by candles, then jumping into freshly washed sheets. It’s such a little thing but still one of my all time favourite things.
- Know what your desires and goals are in life and ensure every decision you make is in alignment with your values and moves you closer to your goals. Who do you want to be? Don’t do things just to please other people, do what is good for you keeping your goals in mind always. Remember that it is your responsibility to make yourself happy so love yourself enough to say no things that aren’t good for you and won’t serve you. You will only resent decisions you make based on what others want not what you truly want.
- Feed your body with goodness. I don’t mean you have to go on a strict eating regime and cut out all the foods you love, just create an awareness around what you are feeding your body. You will think clearer and have more energy and feel fresher when you fill yourself with nutrient rich food and drink. Try a fresh green juice to start the day instead of your coffee. Keep the food you love that might not be so good for you as a treat. Another thing that I really notice is how much dehydration affects my moods so try to drink plenty of water.
- Surround yourself with positivity. You become a product of your environment so make sure your environment is energy rich. Love yourself enough to say no to people who are always moaning, bitching and speaking negatively. As you love and respect yourself more you will start to only want to spend your time with people who lift you up.
- Clean out your house and detox your wardrobe. There is nothing more therapeutic than cleaning and making things look fresh, show your home and wardrobe some love and respect. Light some beautiful scented candles and put on some music you love while you do it! A tidy environment makes for a tidy mind and you will love your clothes more if you can find them properly and everything in your wardrobe is something you wear rather than clutter.
- Take care of your body. If you don’t enjoy exercise then even a walk outdoors will make you feel energised. One of my all time favourite things to do is an hour long walk outdoors with beautiful scenery. You can collect your thoughts and get your body moving. Yoga is a great way to start the day and you can download videos to watch and learn if you can’t get to a class.
- Let go of your negative self talk and start making positive affirmations. Nothing in life is failure, it’s feedback so let go of the past, let go of all the things you wish you had done differently and start your new journey of self love today. Don’t compare yourself to others, just focus on making yourself the best version of you. Leave all your negative self talk behind you and start believing you can reach your goals.
- Keep growing and learning. Nothing great will happen in your comfort zone so push those boundaries and stretch yourself – you will feel so accomplished! Read books, learn new recipes, visit new places. Be curious, feed your mind. The more you grow the more you will have to offer the world and others.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life… start loving yourself and it will be the best love story you ever witnessed.